When you have glowing skin with an even tone, you don’t even need any face makeup to look good. Unfortunately, not everyone is blessed with an ideal skin tone, but there are easy and affordable ways to make it happen. Here is how to use honey and lemon to achieve a lighter tone of your skin.
Shop thousands of skin whitening products on sellbeta to save time!
1. Honey And Lemon Skin Whitening Mask
The recipe for a skin whitening mask that works wonders requires just two ingredients you likely already have in your home – honey and lemon. For this purpose, you can use any honey you have, but you can achieve the best results with thick honey that is somewhat grainy – in other words, honey can be partially crystallized for this recipe. You will also need to extract some lemon juice, and you won’t even need a whole lemon – you will likely get enough juice for this recipe from 1/3 or 1/2 of a lemon.
The honey and lemon skin lightening mask recipe couldn’t be simpler: you will need 1 tablespoon of honey and 2 teaspoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice. If your honey is too thick and you are heating it on a double boiler to achieve a better consistency, make sure to let it cool down before applying to your skin.
Mix the two ingredients in a bowl. Apply the mask to your previously cleansed face skin and massage it for a little bit to distribute the mask more evenly. Leave for 15 to 20 minutes and wash off with lukewarm water. Apply your favourite moisturizer to prevent the skin from drying out.
2. Why Does It Work?
Honey and lemon are two of the most popular skin care ingredients and they are widely used to achieve a lighter, more even skin tone. But what exactly makes these two ingredients so effective for transforming the look of your skin?
The secret ingredient in this mask is, of course, lemon, which is known for its skin lightening abilities. Lemon is a highly acidic product that can remove old acne scars and other patches where skin discolouration has occurred, giving you an even, visibly lighter skin tone.
Honey, on the other hand, does not have direct skin lightening abilities. Instead, it works as an exfoliator, removing dead skin cells and oil to reveal your healthy and glowing complexion. Moreover, honey acts as a moisturizer and stops your skin from losing too much moisture during the skin lightening procedure.
3. Are There Any Side Effects?
When researching DIY beauty recipes, you can come across dozens of benefits and uses of these two amazing ingredients. However, when used improperly or when you have a personal negative reaction to either honey or lemon, there are some potential side effects to the treatment, including:
- Allergic reactions. If your body doesn’t react well to honey or lemon, there is a variety of symptoms that can occur. However, this likely won’t be the first time you are using honey and lemon, so you probably already know about any pre-existing allergies.
- Skin irritation. Even when you don’t suffer from any known allergies, your skin may be irritated from the use of honey or lemon. In case that happens and your skin becomes red and itchy, you need to immediately wash off the mask and apply some calming face cream.
- Photosensitivity. Using lemon on your skin increases the chance of developing a side reaction to sunlight. That is why, if you want to avoid sunburns, swelling, and other symptoms of photosensitivity, only use the honey and lemon mask in the evening, and never before going out.