Shop hair beauty products for every hair type and budget on SellBeta
Since the beginning of 2020, we have already seen numerous popular hairstyle trends, and now it’s time for the most recent one. Knotless box braids have been all the rage on Instagram for the past few weeks, and here is everything you need to know about them.
1. What Are Knotless Box Braids?
You may be surprised to know that knotless box braids are by no means a new invention – they have been around since the early 2000s. This year, thanks to the efforts of popular hairstylists and hair influencers on Instagram, this style has resurfaced and is now coveted by thousands of fashionistas around the world.
Understanding what knotless box braids are is easy when you know how regular box braids are creating. When creating a standard box braid, the hairstylist attaches the braiding hair with a knot near the hair roots. With knotless box braids, the hairstylist begins braiding with your own hair, feeding in the braiding hair as she goes.
2. Why Are Knotless Box Braids So Popular?
To an outsider, knotless box braids look almost identical to regular box braids we all know and love. So why are knotless braids so popular right now and what makes them stand out from the rest of protective hairstyles? Here are just some of the reasons why women love knotless box braids so much.
- Little to no pain. Unlike regular braids that require tight knots near your scalp, knotless braids don’t hurt your scalp at all and don’t pull out your hair, causing skin damage, scarring, redness, and itchiness. Instead, all you feel is comfort and neatness.
- Better for your hair. We must never forget that box braids are a protective hairstyle, which means they should not make your hair feel and look worse than it did before. That is not something that will happen with knotless braids – when you take them out four to six weeks later, there won’t be any severe damage, such as shedding and breakage, to the hair.
- Not as heavy. Before you wear regular box braids for the first time, you may have no idea how heavy they feel on your scalp due to the amount of braiding hair that is used to create them. Thanks to the innovating braiding process, knotless braids require significantly less braiding hair and don’t feel even half as heavy on your head.
- Versatility. Once you have a head full of knotless box braids, you have virtually unlimited styling opportunities for every occasion. From wearing your braids down or to the side to turning them into elaborate hairstyles, there are dozens of styles you can try with new knotless box braids.
3. Knotless Box Braid Hairstyles
If you are by now convinced that knotless box braids are your next hairstyle to try, here are some gorgeous and cute knotless box braid hairstyles for your inspiration.
Long knotless braids may take more time to style, but the result looks simply fabulous every time.
Knotless box braids are easy to identify thanks to the flawless geometrical pattern they create on your scalp – it surely takes a lot of effort to make them look this neat.
Here is an example of how you can easily style your knotless box braids into any hairstyle you want – check out this elegant updo that would look stunning at any important event.
While black remains the most popular colour for knotless box braids, it doesn’t mean you cannot experiment with light or vibrant shades – after all, the upcoming summer season is the best time to do it.
The ombre look has been very popular for a few years now and it hasn’t lost a single bid of its relevance, so you can try it with your new knotless box braids.