Even though the world has lots of things to worry about at the moment, last week, millions of gamers around the world were delighted when Sony finally unveiled its iteration of the iconic gaming console. Here is everything you need to know about the PlayStation 5!
Find over 1,000 Sony PlayStation devices for sale on Sellbeta
1. Design And Specs
The Sony PlayStation 5 was announced in an online event that, in a way, acted as a substitute to the traditional Sony conference where the tech giant announces its latest releases and news. This means that the online event is probably the biggest reveal concerning the PS5 we can expect for a while. Here is what Sony PlayStation 5 has in store for its buyers.
- Even on paper, the new PlayStation looks impressive: the console is going to be equipped with an 8x Zen 2 Cores with 3.5GHz frequency, 10.28 TFLOPs with 36 compute units and 2.23GHz, a 825GB SSD with an option to upgrade the storage thanks to the NVMe SSD slot. There will be 16GB GDDR6 in the memory department and an 4K UHD Blu-Ray drive.
- There will be the first ever version of a Sony gaming console without any optical drive at all. The drive-less version of the Sony PlayStation 5 will only be able to run games downoladed from the internet. However, Sony did not announce whether there will be a significant change in the price of the drive-less PS5 model.
- From a visual standpoint, the PlayStation 5 looks very unusual not only for the console market in general, but also for Sony in particular. After the understated, streamlined look of the PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5’s curvy and futuristic appearance, as well as the use of white colour instead of black, are a groundbreaking look for Sony.
- As it was rumoured long before the official PS5 announcement, the new Sony console will feature backwards compatibility, which means you will be able to run your favourite PS4 games on your new PlayStation 5. Sony says, however, that only the top 100 PlayStation 4 games will be supported.
- The PlayStation 5 will feature a DualSense controller that was announced a while ago. The controller is packed with amazing features, including a built-in mic, haptic feedback, and adaptive triggers. However, the new controller may take some time to get used to, especially for hardcore gamers with the previous PS models.
Even though we are still months away from the moment the PlayStation 5 will be available in stores, we can already check out the list of the most interesting games that will be released for the new console. Here are just some of the titles you will be able to play on the PS5 once it comes out:
- Resident Evil 8.
- Gran Turismo 7.
- Horizon Forbidden West.
- Sackboy: A Big Adventure.
- Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales.
- NBA 2K21.
- Destruction Allstars.
- Goodbye Volcano High.
3. Release Date And Price
The exact official release date for the PlayStation 5 has not been announced by Sony yet, but the company has said it hopes to release its latest console during the Holiday season of 2020 in the US, which means the release can take place anywhere between October and November 2020. Sony also did not officially name the price for the new console, but several leaks suggest it will be priced around $499 or ₦200,000.